Thursday, March 7, 2024

Mindfulness- A New Idea?



 In a mental health class I took with one of my grandchildren several years ago, Mindfulness was described as the practice of being fully present in the moment, paying attention to your thoughts, feelings, and sensations without judgment.  It was a state of active/inactive attention to the present, without regard to the future or the past.  Mindfulness was the ability to be fully present, aware of where you are, what you are doing, while not being overly reactive or overwhelmed by what is going on around you.  

The reason for learning this as a skill, in this particular class, was the idea Mindfulness helps improve mental well-being, and enhances focus and self-awareness.  The goal of practicing mindfulness as taught, was to reduce depression and anxiety symptoms and increase a feeling of self-control and well-being. 

I am not sure when the term "Mindfulness" came about.  My first reaction in hearing the term was wonder.  Was this a new skill?  A new idea? An idea of coping with life I hadn't learned before?  The answer, for me, was a resounding "No."  It was just a different way of looking at or describing what many people describe as a way to slow down, reduce stress or cope with pressures of everyday life. Enjoying the moment was something I did without consciously thinking about it or analyzing what I was doing or why.  Some days I did it often, other days perhaps only one or twice.  It wasn't something I planned in advance or scheduled into my day.  Enjoying the moment happened when moments might be seen as less than ideal.  It happened when I felt like crying because I felt overwhelmed with 5 children all demanding attention at the same time- a toddler pulling on my leg, siblings fighting, a baby crying and another calling "Mama" and another asking for help to tie a shoe.  In that moment I would stop, take a deep breath.  Perhaps say a quick prayer for patience and express gratitude for being a mother and for each child.  I might focus on the smell of a flower in a vase nearby, the sounds of innocence, the feel of a small hand, the belief of each child that I could solve their particular problem or look at a favored toy on the floor that represented love.  It only took a moment or two, yet I could then face the chaos with a laugh or a sigh, knowing that I could handle it all and I was OK.  

It doesn't matter what you call it - a skill, a tool, a coping mechanism, a trick.  It doesn't matter whether you call it mindfulness, stop & go, time out or enjoying the moment.  What does matter is that you do it as you feel the need.  In a moment experience something relaxing, calming, peaceful.  Savor a taste, enjoy a smell, listen to a sound, see something of worth, feel something of value or bless yourself with a form of self-love like a deep breath and relaxation. Find what works for you in the moment and know that whatever you choose to experience in the moment is exactly perfect for you.  

I love you and wish you well this day. 





No comments:

Post a Comment